Friday, July 13, 2012

Garden Update #4

     Things have really grown well this summer thanks to the massive amounts of rain we had as well as the recent hot, sunny weather.  I don't think I've ever seen cabbage heads this big, and there are more peas, pickles, beans, and tomatoes than we'll know what to do with.

   

     The pressure cooker/canning stuff arrived earlier this week, and as I type this Dad has his first try at Sun Pickles sitting outside.  Uncle Frank was kind enough to deliver massive amounts of canning jars, and everything seems to be ripening almost all at once.




     This year, I learned (from Dad) that keeping JUST the root of the onion covered grows some HUGE onions.  These are going to be GIANTS!




 


     See?   HUGE.  




    I think I'd like to sleep in the dill tonight.  
It smells SOOOOOOO good!
 






     30+ plants?
I think we'll have enough tomatoes to make
Juice, spaghetti sauce, marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, fresh & canned salsa & any other tomato product of our liking...  





     Our 2nd batch of peas (the 3rd batch is up and growing already!)



1st of 2 long rows of pickles.  



2 rows of beans




One dirty garden boy


5 comments:

  1. is that your actual garden?? I am SO JEALOUS! I want a garden SO bad. It is definitely on my todo list but it seems so...time consuming? Anyway, that is one freaking cool garden of fresh food you have there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is beautiful. it reminds me so much of my dad's garden, and brings back fond memories of all of spending summer days helping with the picking, prepping and canning of everything. We did all the basics and mom also made vegetable soup which we canned, and tomato sauce, and everything else. We ate well all year from the garden and freezer.

    So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your garden! What fabulous pictures. Everything looks so great. Love the picture of the yellow mini flowers. Your son is SO cute! Love your blog header! Xo Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a garden....weedless...bounty crop.
    Just checking back for any new posts you may have written.
    I’ve been a follower on your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your garden pictures! I found your blog on the blog train!

    ReplyDelete