Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Calm Amidst Chaos

I think all Moms feel this at some point during their day.  Whether it's when the kids are napping in the middle of a completely torn apart livingroom...  or when they are dressed for church and walk past Mt. Laundry as we're leaving.  It might even be when our families sit down for dinner together and only a few feet away is a kitchen sink full of dishes.  The point is, as Moms, we always have some chaos happening within an arms distance.





     We took the big kids (and a couple of their friends) to Valleyfair yesterday.  Going on a Tuesday made for short lines, and not so much of a crowd even in the waterpark area!  We met up with a friend & his family, and they had been nice enough to hook us up with a cabana near the wave pool, so our day was spent sitting and relaxing while the big kids went off to play.  Elle was stuck with us, but had a great time swimming and splashing!

     Being allowed to sit quietly with my own thoughts for a few minutes, I was able to realize what a huge change there was in my life over the past 15 years.  Back then, I ran through the gates when we came here.  I rode every ride twice if not more.  I played the games that were nearly impossible to win.  And I'm more than sure I ate my fair share of fair food.  Back then, my chaos was going to an amusement park. 

     As I sat on my chair yesterday, my mind stayed home with the chaos.  The pile of work on my desk... the dishes... the cleaning of our bedroom & bathroom that I've skipped over for several weeks now.  I thought about Mom things.

     And I wished for awhile, that I could think about kid things once again.  I want to be excited that we're having spaghetti and garlic bread ~ not just think about how I've got to clean up the mess it took to make it.  I want to focus on church and not the pile of clothes waiting for me when I get home.  I want to float among the waves in the pool while my mind joins me. 


    
    

     And I want to get my chaos in order enough so there comes a time when I can be calm.  Right here in this picture.  On the beach.  Where no cell phone or internet service can find me. 

     I think this is simply another example of how us Moms are tied together.  We are the calm amidst their chaos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment