Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I'm gonna miss this.

     What a difference in life from last year. 


As Dorothy once said, "Things change so quickly here".  


     It seems as if I've run out of babies.  I caught myself warning the bigger kids a few times this past weekend to be careful where they jump in because of "the baby" ... and to try not to splash "the baby".  And the truth is, we don't have a baby anymore.  He's almost 3.  I can feel my ovaries aching (literally) as I realize once again that there is no more.  


The very first picture of my only baby boy...


The last picture I have of him to date...

    
     Somedays, it's hard to remember all the steps it takes to go from breastmilk to cupcakes - but I know there were lots.  It seems like just a few short months ago that we spent 6 weeks in the NICU with him, and I clearly remember the day we brought him home.  I also remember the car seat and shaken baby syndrome videos they made me watch before we could leave.  Having had 4 other kids (3 of which were NICU babies) I had watched before and vaguely paid attention.  Mostly, I sat there looking at him - knowing his peaceful, quiet little world was coming to an end.  He was about to be tossed into life with 4 big sisters, the youngest still a baby herself.  I sat there, watching him while he took his car seat test, and knew that life was about to change for both him and I.  I almost wanted time to stand still.  At least for another day or two... but it didn't.  It just went on. 

     Then came the lack of sleep.  I'm sure there are other moms who can relate to sleepless nights for the better part of the last 6 years - and I'd like to say KUDOS to you all.  I failed at this many times (Just ask B!) and was a crabby, cranky, overtired, exhausted, no fun girl somedays.  Possibly many days.  But I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and believe it's close to 2 weeks now (barring the night of puke) where we've all slept through the night.  Lemme tell ya... it's Niiiiiiice.

     But, days like today - when I have time to pause, I think about the moments these pictures remind me of.  Part of why I love taking so many snapshots is because these images help me remember details otherwise forgotten.  They spark stories.  And laughter - because there isn't a day that goes by without some major hilarity in our house.  "Hey mom... remember how you thought there wasn't a battery in that saw..."  and so on and so forth...  ;)

     I guess as they grow up, we grow older ourselves - and start to pay attention to the really important stuff in our lives.  Which for me, is watching them grow up.  





 I'm gonna miss this hat wearing, powertool playing (please note, there are NO batteries), sister loving, cowboy being, gator riding, cat cuddling, sliding little boy!!

8 comments:

  1. Awwww he's beautiful! My baby is 5 so I know what You mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what life will be like in 2 more years when he's 5. I'm sure I'll love some of the freedom it brings - but just thinking of never having a baby again gets me teary...

      Delete
  2. What a charming, heart-warming post! What a sweet little guy. Love that picture of his little cupcake face! My baby (the youngest of six) will be turning 24 in June. 24! I can't believe it. He and his wife are expecting their first a couple of weeks after that. That's how I get through. Because after your babies are grown, they bring THEIR babies over to see you. And it starts all over. Without the sleepless nights! What a precious family you have. So glad to know that, occasionally, you get time to stop and grab a breath and just . . . appreciate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest is 14... I guess knowing that in 10 years or so I can enjoy HER children satisfies my baby jones somewhat! LOL I love taking moments here and there to do as you say and slow down - but when I do, I feel the guilt creep in because I know I don't slow down nearly enough. Heck - it seems like Lars was born just a few months ago. Time truly DOES fly.

      Delete
  3. Awww what a lovely post and I can so relate, my little boy will be turning 6 this year they grow up so fast and I have been finding myself craving another baby so badly lately. big hugs to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend is due to have her 2nd baby (a boy!) the end of July. I shared my last few with her (as her other child is already 7) - and I've told her she has to share too!! Aren't little boys just special? I love my 4 girls - but there is a totally different bond that I share with my son... :)

      Delete
  4. Your boy is adorable!!!!!! :D And I totally know how you feel.. time flies so fast. First you have a tiny person who's completely helpless then next thing you know, you have one that can read on his own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told one of my friends that with all these emotions I have about them growing up, I think I'm going through adult puberty!! Thank you for the really nice comment - I think he's pretty cute too :)

      Delete