Sunday, May 15, 2011

In search of a bench...

     We all have something specific in mind when it comes to decorating our homes.  A "theme" if you will.  My Moms "theme" was:  De-Clutter.  Really it was.  Growing up we had a couch, a chair (all on one wall) a recliner on the other wall, one end table, and a tv.  The layout only changed once or twice over the years and even then, the changes weren't anything profound.

     I think that's why I have always dreamed of having a comfortable, cozy, country-like HOME.  One people love to visit.  A home where anyone and everyone is always welcome, never needing an invitation and always having one.  I wanted a house we could grow into a home.  This house would grow roots over time (and it already has started!) - and would develope a personality of it's own. 

     We were finally blessed to be able to purchase our own home this past winter.  Long story short - the house we bought had slipped from our hands several times over the past 3 years and we had wondered many times if God was telling us it wasn't meant to be, or if he was seeing how long and how hard we'd fight for it.   We fought (and prayed) and waited (and prayed) and cried (well at least I cried) (and prayed) and it happened. 


     Sorry for the winter picture.  Time for a new summer one SOON!

     And since that day, I've been slowly getting ideas, finding new pictures, mirrors, and ways to decorate - all within a very tight "budget" if you will...   (thrift stores, garage sales, and by painting old furniture).  

     But - I'm stuck on a bench.   I thought I found it once - but when I saw the price tag I KNEW I hadn't!  It will live in the main floor hallway up against the wall beneath the mirror with the coat hooks - it will be a shallow bench - but it will be a tall bench - with a back - and maybe the seat will lift up and I can store things under it.  It will be barn red and NOT new looking.

     So if anyone out there has one for sale...  I'm interested!!   

     I'm learning so much about myself even after being a homeowner for such a short time and can't wait to see where we're at this time next year!  Heck - I wonder if I'll have my bench!?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your visit!
    Have you tried cost plus? They have really great benches without the pricetag. Otherwise check craigslist everyday, you never know!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish I could keep my houses clean!
    www.rebeccabany.com
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/becbany

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got your house ~ my homes have always been cozy and warm ~ house is to 'live in' and enjoyed ~ Happy for you. i am sure you will find your bench ~ I have one that is similar to what you described but it not for sale ~ I think I bought it from Pottery Barn but am not sure ~ ^_^ ~ Visiting from Blog Frog ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete